Leadership is the Key!
The Time is NOW…
To support education reform efforts that create a strong vision for Career and Technical Education.
Ask Senators to Sign FY 2014 Perkins Funding Letter
This week, senators who support CTE have the opportunity to sign on to a letter to the Senate Appropriations Committee urging a strong federal investment in Perkins for Fiscal Year (FY) 2014. This effort is being led by Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) who is asking his Senate colleagues to join him in requesting a restoration of federal funding for Perkins.
The Perkins FY 2011 allocation was reduced by $140 million, with additional reductions occurring in FY 2012. As a result of sequestration, Perkins will be further reduced by $56 million in FY 2013. Dozens of states are currently receiving funding allocations at or near the level they received in 1998. The erosion of Perkins has hurt high schools, CTE centers, community and technical colleges, employers and millions of CTE students nationwide. The letter requests that Senate appropriators restore funding for Perkins Basic State Grant to $1.1 billion, equivalent to the FY 2012 level, in their FY 2014 appropriations bill.
We need as many senators as possible to sign on to the letter to ensure that the Appropriations Committee recognizes the importance of restoring Perkins funds. Please take five minutes to help us in this effort. Contact you senators and urge them to sign on to this letter.
- Find the contact information for your senators at our ACTE Action Center and click on the "directory" tab. You can also reach your senators by calling the U.S. Capitol switchboard at202-224-3121.
- Call your senators and ask to speak to the education staff member; if unavailable, leave a message.
- Ask your senator to support funding for CTE by signing the FY 2014 Perkins appropriations letter being circulated by Sen. Blumenthal.
- Tell them that they can sign on to the letter by contacting Sen. Blumenthal’s office.
- Thank the staff for his or her time and support.
Tell Congress that it is time to make investing in CTE a top priority!
Take the time to join more than 200 innovative educational leaders that are already taking advantage of WALEW and the benefits it provides.